Hampshire Saturday Senior Cup sponsored by BSA REGAL GROUP 2nd Round 10/10/12

Totton & Eling Football Club                    cowes

TOTTON & ELING       2 – 1      COWES SPORTS after extra time

The Yachtsmen traveled to Southampton to take on Wessex Premier Division side TOTTON & ELING, currently sitting in 6th place, in this Hampshire Senior Cup 2nd Round tie. Manager Richie Woodburn brought in Joe Winchcombe in goal, Ed Hatt dropping to the bench and Jason Ince into left midfield, Lee Davies moving to left back following Mitch Herbert’s ankle injury against Stockbridge.

It soon became evident that the Div 1 side were going to be playing the football whilst their hosts tended to rely on the longball forward for their strike force too chase. One such instance saw prolific goal scorer Craig Feeney have a shot well saved by Joe Winchcombe, but the offside flag had been raised. Cowes had their first chance on the 1/4 hour when a superb pass by Tom Dye found skipper Gareth Bricknell who controlled the ball before shooting into the side netting. Shortly after a clearance by a Totton defender hit Gareth Bricknell before rolling wide of the right hand upright. Gareth then turned provider as his corner from the left was headed over by Joe Phelps. Another ball over the Cowes defence found Craig Feeney who this time tucked the ball into the left corner of the Islanders goal, but once again the offside flag had been raised so the tie remained goalless. An excellent move down the left saw Lee Davies send in a cross that Gareth Bricknell headed over. Cowes defender Charlie Allen had to be replaced by Danny Cowburn in the 35th minute with a shoulder injury. As chances came for both teams Joe Winchcombe did well to palm the ball away following a corner, Gareth Bricknell fired straight at Tony Harrop in the home goal whilst the last chance of the first half saw Craig Feeney’s shoot across the face of the Cowes goal, but half time came with the teams still goalless.

H-t 0-0

Cowes continued to play the better football and deservedly took the lead in the 51st minute when they took advantage  of some poor defending by Totton & Eling, Gareth Bricknell sent the ball to Jason Ince wide on the left who beat his marker before sending a high cross towards the back post where NATHAN LEWIS out jumped the home defender to head the ball into the goal via the right hand post. However, Totton & Eling responded well and a cross driven in from the Cowes right was tipped over the bar by Joe Winchcombe. From the resulting corner centre half MATT RODRIGUES rose highest to flick the ball past the helpless keeper and level the scores. The better chances still fell to the Island side as Lee Davies broke down the left before cutting inside and smashing the ball against the right hand post, the rebound being sent wide by Craig Insley. Tom Dye, seeing the keeper off his line, then had an ambitious effort from 35 yards but his effort went wide. The Millers goal then somehow remained intact in the 65th minute as Tom Dye blasted a shot which Tony Harrop could only parry clear to Nathan Lewis whose return shot crashed off of the right hand upright and found its way to Jason Ince on the left of the penalty area, he cut inside and shot towards goal, only to see his effort deflect off a defender onto the left hand post before being cleared. Nathan Lewis the headed straight at the home keeper before Totton & Eling’s Craig Feeney head over the bar. For a second time in the game Gareth Bricknell found the side netting with ten minutes left on the clock. In the 86th minute Cowes looked to have scored a second when Tom Dye hit a left foot shot from 30 yards towards the top right corner of the goal only to see Tony Harrop produce an outstanding save to tip the ball over the bar. The final action of normal time came in the last minute when the home side broke down the left and a cross was sent into the area behind the Cowes defence where Craig Feeney looked likely to win the game for the home side, but Cowes keeper Joe Winchcombe managed to get something on the shot to send the ball past his left hand post to keep the score level and send the match into extra time.

F-t 1 – 1

Cowes brought on Darren Williams in place of Jason Ince at the start of Extra Time, whilst Jimmy Wykes came on for Craig Insley towards the end of the first period, but the first 15 minutes was in all honesty very forgettable as neither side created any decent scoring chances.

E-t H-t 1 – 1

A similar pattern in the second period as both teams concentrated, not wanting to make a mistake. However, in the 113th minute right back Max Draper was caught in possession wide on the right, instead of clearing for a throw, by Sam Carter who ran into the area before being flattened by Aidan Bryan’s lunging tackle. Referee Steve Saunders had no option but to award a penalty which STEVE GREEN cheekily chipped into the right side of the net with Joe Winchcombe diving to the left. Not deterred by going behind The Yachtsmen pressed hard for the remaining seven minutes in hope of one big chance coming their way. It came in the final minute when the ball found Darren Williams ten yards out, but he blasted his shot wide of the right hand post and the home side held on to progress to the third round.

Result – 2 – 1

The Island side though can be very proud of their performance and if they can keep this level up they should be pushing for a top four place at least having pushed their Premier Division opponents all the way in this cup tie.

Team:- Joe Winchcombe, Max Draper, Lee Davies, Aidan Bryan, Charlie Allen(Danny Cowburn), Craig Insley(Jimmy Wykes), Tom Dye, Joe Phelps, Nathan Lewis, Gareth Bricknell capt, Jason Ince(Darren Williams), Subs not used; Jamie Dyer + Ed Hatt.

Referee:- STEVEN SAUNDERS    Assistants – Steve Topazio, Christopher Goodrich