Sunday October 28th 2012


The very first football match at Westwood Park took place on Saturday October 26th 1912, a Hampshire Senior Cup tie against R.M.L.I resulting in a comfortable 5 – 0 home win. Prior to the match a ‘ground naming’ ceremony took place and a club flag was raised by MRS CARNT, wife of Club President Mr E. C. Carnt. The ground was named ‘The Westwood Ground’, after the the couples house in Wootton (currently owned by Mark King, formerly of Level 42).

On Sunday October 28th Westwood Park played host to a match between current players(Cowes Sports 2012 XI) and a team of former players that have in the past donned the blue and white shirts (Cowes Sports  Legends XI). Prior to kick off former player MR NORMAN TITCOMBE raised a new blue and white flag bearing ‘WESTWOOD’ across the middle and a horseshoe in each corner. It is said that October 26th 1912 was grey and wet affecting the attendance, well, Sunday October 28th 2012 was also dull and damp, although the rain held off till after the game, but again the attendance was affected.

Flag Raising 28-10-12


Cowes Sports 2012 – Ed Hatt, Max Draper, Lee Davies, Joe Phelps, Ashley Brett, Charlie Allen, Jason Ince, Craig Insley, Stephen Perfect, Gareth Bricknell capt, James Wykes  Subs; Aidan Bryan, Dom Burbidge, Brendan Woodward, Danial Shortman, Jack Broomfield, Martin Wragg, James Eldridge, Ian Potts, Callum Capon.

Cowes Sports Legends XI – Malc Cole, Jamie Backshall, Leon Backshall, Martin Young, Andrew Watson capt, Kevin Morris, Pete Wheeler, Andy Rayner, Mark Burbidge, Lee Dixon, Terry Hopkins  Subs; Steven Mumford, Andrew Butler, Lee Dent, Roger Grey g/k, Derek Manser

Referee:- DAVE BRUNT  Assistants – Ian Smith + Brian Hayward

Captains and Officials 28-10-12

Cowes 2012 showed their youthfulness in the early stages of the game taking no prisoners, Gareth Bricknell’s cross from the right found the head of JOE PHELPS who sent the ball back over Malc Cole and into the net with only 5 minutes played. That lead was doubled in the 10th minute with a superb passage of play, full back Lee Davies was released down the left touchline before sending a cross into the area between defenders and keeper and was met by a diving header by 19 year old JAMES WYKES. He then got his second of the game and a third for the current side as he cut in from the left before firing into the net across keeper Malc Cole. Another good passing move saw Jason Ince speed down the right before rolling the ball back to skipper GARETH BRICKNELL who had the simple task of tapping in number four in the 28th minute from 8 yards. Three minutes later came number five when center half ASHLEY BRETT netted with a header. STEPHEN PERFECT added a sixth goal in the 43rd minute when his first shot was well saved by Malc Cole, but the ball sat up nicely for Steve to head home from 2 yards. Having been totally dominant throughout the first half Cowes 2012 were caught in the final minute of the half when KEVIN MORRIS, looking suspiciously offside, waltzed free before calmly chipping the advancing Ed Hatt to get the Legends XI on the scoresheet.

H-t 6 – 1

With several changes being made throughout the game, particularly at half time for the 2012 side, giving the gathered crowd, with many former players from the Malc McNeish era watching, a chance to see some of the potential 1st XI players of the future, the likes of Brendan Woodward, James Eldridge and Jack Broomfield. Dom Burbidge came close to adding a seventh goal as Malc Cole watched his free kick crash back off the crossbar. Jack Broomfield also hit the crossbar with James Eldridge’s follow up saved and Jimmy Wykes somehow managing to send the ball over the bar with a hat trick at his mercy. How ever hard the current side tried they could not add to their tally of goals whilst in the 70th minute the Legends ANDY BUTLER(Cowes Sports current Vice Chairman and Groundsmen) broke through and also managed to lob the ball over Ed Hatt and into the empty net. Legends sub keeper Roger Grey then saved a Charlie Allen pile driver before KEVIN MORRIS netted his second goal and a third for the Legends. The final goal of the game came courtesy of a brilliant volley from LEE DENT who still showed he knows where the goal is. A great way to finish a very entertaining game.

Following the match players and officials were joined in the clubhouse by several former players and club officials for reunion and a few beers and a buffet, prepared by Julie Potts and her team of ladies, sharing in lots of memories from their playing days at Cowes. Also many photographs were hung around the walls whilst a selection of old memorabilia  such as medals, tickets, programmes along with the ‘Westwood Cup’ and the ‘Gold Cup’ won last season(the cup the clubs keep for the year, not the actual gold Cup). A programme, ‘ONIONS IN YOUR TEA’, was produced by Toby Collard  and some are still available for purchase at the club priced £3.

COWES SPORTS would like to thank everyone who contributed to the day, in particular Peter Jeffery who spent a lot of time seeking former players, Toby Collard, Tony Gibbs, Allan Blackburn, Don Webb, Peter Groves, Rich Insley, Bert Jupe, David Hunt, Kevin Winchcombe and Jean Townsend, daughter of 1930’s Cowes legend Jackie Pearce, who contributed various items of memorabilia towards the exhibition. Also thanks to Mark and Ria King for the photo of Westwood House(used in the programme).

Special thanks go to Malcolm McNeish and John Westmore for helping bring together old clubmen together, to Dale Young for managing the Legends along with current 1st team Manager Richie Woodburn and his squad of players.

The Club would also like to thank the following businesses for their support during Westwood’s centenary season:- WSM Associates Ltd, The Isle of Wight County Press, Island Printers and Wightlink