PRE – SEASON FRIENDLY Tuesday July 23rd 2013


Premier Division neighbours Newport, smarting from a weekend home defeat against Brading Town(1-2), brought a very strong side to Westwood for this derby friendly whilst home manager Richie Woodburn also named his strongest possible starting line up, but with the intention of making wholesale changes at half time.

Cowes started with intent, Danny Hatcher sending in a cross that Newport keeper, Cameron Farley, did well to hold onto under pressure. Former Cowes player James Butt sent in a free kick that new signing from Vics, Jake Younie, headed wide before Adam Sunsberg and Max Draper combined well before the latter sent in a teasing cross that evaded everyone in the box. Newport had a lot of possession but with little end product. Nathan Lewis supplied the cross from which Jared Wetherick headed over the bar. Max Draper was replaced by Ross Phelps on the half hour mark before Danny Hatcher and Jordan Browne combined well before the former sent a shot across the face of the goal. Then, in the 35th minute, keeper Ed Hatt needlessly conceded a corner which was played in towards the near post for TOM McINNES to glance his header into the Cowes net. Cowes responded and were unlucky not to level two minutes later when a long throw into the Newport area was headed against the post by Jared Wetherick, Cowes going into the break a goal down.

H-t 0 – 1

Having already made one change in the first half, the Yachtsmen made a further eight changes at the start of the second whilst Newport made one change.

The Cowes youngsters that came on were certainly not over awed by their opponents as they gave it a go, but Newport were quick on the break with Tom Scovell instrumental in everything they did. Sub keeper, Joe Winchcombe showed his quality as he produced a great save from Tom McInnes before Robbie Taylor saw his powerful shot hit Arthur Bradbury but the ball went just the wrong side of the post from Cowes’ point of view. Newport eventually made more changes and it was one of them, Darren Powell who headed just over. With 10 minutes left TOM SCOVELL played a short corner, received the ball back before riding a couple of challenges , then sent a shot that just crept inside Joe Winchcombe’s left hand post to double their lead. Lee Davies forced Cameron Farley to save low at his right hand post.

Although the game ended in defeat for the home side, their overall performance throughout both halves was very pleasing with several fringe players showing that they are capable of stepping up when asked too.

TEAM; 1st half:- Ed Hatt, Max Draper(Ross Phelps 29), James Phipps, Nathan Lewis, Charlie Allen, Craig Insley c, Adam Sunsberg, Danny Hatcher, Jordan Browne, Jared Wetherick, Joe Phelps                                          2nd half:- Joe Winchcombe, Ross Phelps, Jack Bartlett, Lee Davies, James Phipps, James Flux, Mikey Jones, Robbie Taylor, Arthur Bradbury, Jimmy Wykes, Joe Phelps(Connor Furmidge 80)

REFEREE:-     PAUL PHILLIPS          Assistants;  John Hopkinson + Steve Clifton