Our Logo

Sydenhams Football League  Division 1,  Saturday December 14th 2013


COWES SPORTS                   3 2            FLEET SPURS

Fresh from last weeks victory over league leaders Andover Town, expectations were high for a very positive result against second bottom Fleet Spurs, although recent results for the visitors had improved greatly. Manager Richie Woodburn named the same starting line up with, returning from America, Joe Butcher, back after his broken leg, Max Draper and Kevin Winchcombe being added to the bench.

Fleet had to make an early substitution due to injury. An early cross from the Cowes right found Darren Williams on his own in their area, but he headed the ball over the crossbar as Cowes looked for an early breakthrough. Again Darren Williams had a clear opportunity to score but visiting keeper managed to push his shot for a corner. Jordan Browne then volleyed the ball back across the face of goal and wide of the keepers right hand post. All connected with Cowes were beginning to get frustrated as all the play was in the opponents half, but no goals. Nathan Lewis won the ball in the midfield area before slipping in Jared Wetherick but as he was about to pull the trigger a defender put in a great tackle to block. John McKie then got his head to a Keelan Sainsbury cross, but the ball bounced off the bar and away to safety. Finally, on the half hour mark, a goal!!! John McKie play in JARED WETHERICK whose left foot shot nestled into the back of the Fleet Spurs goal, much to McKie sets up WetherickA second for Jared and Cowesthe relief of the Cowes supporters. Any thoughts of flood gates opening were dampened just five minutes later when a cross from the Cowes right saw keeper Will Hunt come out to gather, but he did not  get hold of the ball and it fell invitingly to JAMES CHILLERY who equalised for the North Hants side. Again John McKie was causing their defence problems, he ran down the line before cutting inside but his shot flew over the bar. He then set up JARED WETHERICK in the 41st minute who comfortably netted his ans Cowes’ second goal as the home side led at half time.

H-t 2 – 1

Having dominated the first half, but only leading by the odd goal in three and a half time rollicking ringing in their ears, Cowes pushed forward looking to add to their goals tally. Due to upcoming suspensions Darren Williams(51) and Joe Phelps(55) were replaced by Ross Gregory and Oliver Wilson respectively. John McKie again causing problems cut the ball back to Ross Gregory, however Jared Wetherick at full stretch could not get a touch to divert Ross’ shot into the net. Jared then set up Ross, but his effort sailed over the bar. Keelan's cross for John Mckie to net third.Keelan Sainsbury and Jordan Browne combined well down the right before  Keelan’s cross was Mckie brought downvolleyed in by JOHN McKIE for a third Cowes goal.  Nathan Lewis was then replaced by Max Draper on his return from the broken leg sustained    against Hythe & Dibden back in August. Edward Morris, Fleet’s center half, was then red carded for a poor challenge on John McKie. Then with just four minutes left Fleet Spurs set up a nervy finish when DAN DUGAY netted their second goal. Jordan Browne saw his curling volley from the right edge of the area tipped over the bar for a corner from which Jared Wetherick bundled the ball over the line only to earn himself a yellow card for deliberate handball.

THE HOLIDAY SHOP and A L S TRAVEL ” Man of the Match” —-        CRAIG INSLEY

Photos taken by ADAM PEARSON

TEAM:- Will Hunt, Keelan Sainsbury, Ryan Gregory, Aidan Bryan, Craig Insley capt, Nathan Lewis(Max Draper 75), Joe Phelps(Oliver Wilson 55), Darren Williams(Ross Gregory 51), Jared Wetherick (bkd), Jordan Browne, John McKie(bkd), Subs not used; Joe Butcher + Kevin Winchcombe

REFEREE:-     SEAN JENKINS                     Assistants –  Steve Clifton + Tom Hughes