Sydenhams Football League (Wessex)

Sydenhams Football League(Wessex) – Division 1  Sat 22nd March 14

Ringwood Town F.C. logo.png         CSFC Logo 300c


Cowes Sports made the trip through the New Forest to visit The Canotec Stadium, home of Ringwood Town. The Islanders were looking for their thirteenth consecutive victory in League and Cup, whilst the home side had not played since their 1 – 4 defeat at Westwood eighteen days earlier. Both Managers had made several changes from the previous meeting, for Cowes Max Draper, Ollie Wilson, Joe Phelps, Lee Davies and Jordan Browne coming in for Keelan Sainsbury(dislocated elbow), Adam Sunsburg, Ross Gregory, Nathan Lewis (on bench) and Jared Wetherick(on Bench). Only seven Ringwood players were in the squad that had played the previous game with several teenagers being given a taste of Wessex football.

A strong wind blowing towards the clubhouse end goal saw Cowes kick with the wind in the first half. On a bobbly surface both sides found it a bit difficult to control the ball and judge the weight of their passes. The first attempt at goal came in the twentieth minute when Joe Phelps picked out John McKie who fired his shot just wide of their keepers right post. Then a spell off Cowes pressure saw four consecutive corners, two from each side, Ryan Gregory sent in two excellent corners from the left one of which Lee Davies maybe should have scored from, failing to get the important touch. Then came the breakthrough when the Yachtsmen were awarded a 36th minute free kick 22 yards from goal just to the left side of the area as Cowes attacked. Simon McDougall, in goal for Ringwood, lined his wall up just inside the area then appeared to stand directly behind it. Initially John McKie looked the likely taker, but LEE DAVIES stepped up to bend the ball around the wall and into the net with the home keeper motionless on his line. Right on half time Ollie Wilson was played in by Joe Adams, his shot was well saved by McDougall to keep his side in the contest.

Lee Davies scores first goal

H-t 0 – 1        

Whilst some(Pete Jeffery and Myself) were still in the clubhouse awaiting our burgers, Ringwood started the second half on the front foot forcing a couple of corners, from one Ryan Gregory headed the ball over Will Hunt towards his own goal, skipper Craig Insley coming to his rescue with an excellent goal-line clearance. Cowes then switched play to the other end and Joe Adams 50th minute effort ricocheted to JORDAN BROWNE who netted with the home defence calling for “offside”, but no flag was raised and the goal stood, a bit of breathing space for the Island side. However Ringwood were back in the game within four minutes when STANLEY EZAD, who had turned up before the game to watch but ended up playing, saw his shot at goal well saved by Will Hunt in the Cowes goal but was first to react to net the rebound. Nathan Lewis, back from his suspension, replaced Joe Adams in the 66th minute. Cowes withstood the Ringwood pressure having gained confidence from the goal before eventually restoring their two goal advantage in the 75th minute when Jordan Browne played the ball into the path of OLIVER WILSON on the right edge of the area, he drove the ball into the net past Simon McDougall for his third goal of the season. This left the home side deflated and only one side from this point on were going to score and sure enough The Yachtsmen added a fourth goal in the 82nd minute. Having joined in a Cowes attack shortly before and with Ollie Wilson covering him, MAX DRAPER found himself furthest forward to latch onto Joe Phelps ball over the home defence, Max kept his cool to lob the home keeper from 22 yards out in scoring his second goal of the season, much to the delight of all from Cowes in particular his Dad, Dave, who it was said spent the rest of the game texting everyone he knew(ha ha).  Max celebrates his goal

TEAM:- William Hunt, Max Draper, Ryan Gregory, Aidan Bryan, Craig Insley capt, Oliver Wilson, Joe Phelps, Lee Davies, John McKie(Jared Wetherick 75), Jordan Browne, Joe Adams(Nathan Lewis 66), Subs not used; Gareth Bricknell, Richie Woodburn + Kevin Winchcombe

REFEREE:-    LEE RUTTER           Assistants – Steve McFarland + Mark Cottrell