Sydenhams Football League (Wessex)

Sydenhams Football League(Wessex) – Division 1 – Saturday March 29th

CSFC Logo 300c         


The Yachtsmen came into this must win match having suffered their first defeat in 15 games during the previous mid week whist the Navymen had an impressive away win at Pewsey Vale and were looking for revenge having been beaten at home by the Yachtsmen eighteen days earlier. Manager Richie Woodburn was forced into one change, with Joe Phelps away on holiday Lee Davies started.

Prior to kick off both teams  gathered around the center circle and all supporters were upstanding to observe one minutes silence in memory of PAT PARKER, a former and successful player and Manager and well respected person who had sadly passed away at the end of January. The club sends its condolences to his family and friends. He will always be remembered at Westwood Park.

Within a minute of kick off a aerial challenge between Nathan Lewis ans USP’s Sam Steele saw the Pompey 17 year old crash to the ground with an almighty thud, Referee Paula Wyatt immediately halted the game and called for attention for the player who appeared to be unconscious and he was put into the recovery position by their physio, Kevin Winchcombe also assisted as an Ambulance was called. Before its arrival the player thankfully recovered enough to walk of the pitch with help and was eventually taken to hospital by the ambulance for stitches to a bad cut inside his mouth. After about a ten minute delay play resumed.

Cowes struggled to find any sort of form and with the servicemen also struggling the first half was quite a dour affair. The best chance of the half came in the 15th minute when Ryan Gregory’s corner found Lee Davies unmarked on the six yard line , but he put his header wide of the goal. Lee was instrumental in the other chances created , both from free kicks. on the half hour his free kick found Jordan Browne but he headed over, then in the 42nd minute another free kick saw Peter Houkes gather the ball at the second attempt under pressure from Jordan.

H-t 0 0

Having picked up an ankle injury before half time, keeper Will Hunt was replaced at the start of the second half by Ed Hatt. Again both sides appeared to struggle to create any sort of rhythm and goal mouth action was at a premium. U S Portsmouth should have taken the lead in the 67thn minute when some decent play down the Cowes left ended with Jordan Sullivan shooting wide of the goal from 10 yards when he had time and space to pick his spot. The only goal of the game came in the 71st minute when a decent cross into the visitors penalty box by John McKie saw OLIVER WILSON gamble to clip the ball past Peter Houkes into the back of the goal. Connor Duffin then fired over for the visitors as Cowes failed to deal with a ball forward  but that was the closest anyone came to getting a second goal of the game.

Three points gained was the most important part of this game although not a pretty game to watch. News then filtered through that Andover Town had beaten Petersfield Town at Love Lane by four goals to nil, a stunning result for them and probably not the one that Cowes wanted to hear, but I am sure Richie will get his side fighting for every point remaining this season and who knows what effect that defeat will have on Petersfield who do have some tough looking games coming up.

THE HOLIDAY SHOP and A L S TRAVEL  ” Man of the Match”   —     OLIVER WILSON

TEAM:- William Hunt(Ed Hatt 46), Max Draper, Ryan Gregory, Aidan Bryan, Craig Insley capt, Oliver Wilson, Nathan Lewis, Lee Davies, John McKie, Jordan Browne(Jared Wetherick 82), Joe Adams, Subs not used; Ross Gregory + Richie Woodburn

Referee:-    PAULA WYATT        Assistants – Andy Jones  + Richard Wetherick