Sydenhams Football League (Wessex)

Sydenhams Football League(Wessex) – Division 1  – Tuesday March 25th

                     CSFC Logo 300c


Cowes Sports made the long trip to the outskirts of Salisbury for this mid week league game looking to extend their winning run and were confident of doing so especially as the home side had lost at Andover Town three days earlier by seven goals to nil. Only change to the starting line up saw Nathan Lewis return from suspension in place of Lee Davies.

In the first minute John McKie attacked down the left but his effort was blocked at the cost of a corner. On eight minutes Jordan Browne and John McKie combined to set up Ollie Wilson who fired wide of goal. Four minutes later Craig Insley saw his cross headed at their keeper Darren Sharpe by Joe Phelps. Ollie Wilson then turned provider as he played in John McKie but he pulled his shot wide of the goal as Cowes made all the running but could not find the vital breakthrough. Joe Adams then hit a sweet volley that Darren Sharpe managed to hold under his crossbar before another Adams effort from distance flew just over the bar with Sharpe well beaten. It took the home side 40 minutes before threatening Will Hunt’s goal as James Clifton broke through from the half way line before shooting, Will Hunt blocking the effort. Joe Adams then done well just before half time to win the ball on the Cowes right get to the bye-line before crossing, however nobody was willing to make the effort to stretch to get the all important touch. So the first half remained goal less.

H-t 0 0

Cowes struggled throughout the second half to get any sort of rhythm and became more and more frustrated and were hit in the 63rd minute when Aidan Bryan was very harshly adjudged to have fouled a forward near the left hand touch line for which he got a yellow card, a joke decision from the Assistant, from the free kick a forward slammed a header against the near upright, the ball fell nicely for midfielder ROBERT GALLAGHER who scuffed his shot into the bottom right of the Cowes goal for what proved to be the only goal of the game. Jared Wetherick and Lee Davies were sent on in place of John McKie and Joe Adams, but although Cowes huffed and puffed they never really looked like getting an equaliser. As in the first half, this time Lee Davies sent the ball across the face of goal but nobody gambled to get the touch required. All in all a very disappointing performance from the Yachtsmen as their 13 game winning streak came to an end and probably any chance of promotion went down the river. Credit to the home the home side who most certainly were “up” for the game. The Officials however did not have one of their better games.

TEAM:- William Hunt, Max Draper, Ryan Gregory, Aidan Bryan(bkd), Craig Insley capt(bkd), Oliver Wilson, Joe Phelps(bkd), Nathan Lewis, John McKie(Jared Wetherick 63), Jordan Browne, Joe Adams(Lee Davies 63), Subs not used; Jimmy Wykes + Kevin Winchcombe

Referee:-     BRIAN WHITE          Assistants – Nigel Roper + Andy Brown