Saturday July 19th 2014 3pm KO


Referee:- Steve Currie   Assistants – Richard Wetherick + Andy Jones

The Yachtsmen began there pre season with a very tough game against John Pyatt’s Lymington Town side from the Wessex Premier. Manager, Richie Woodburn, named a starting line up consisting of player that were with the club last season but was always going to use all his warm up games to change most of the team at half time.

Starting XI – Ed Hatt, Max Draper, Lee Davies, Ryan Gregory c, Charlie Allen, Joe Phelps, Oliver Wilson, Keelan Sainsbury, Joe Adams, Jordan Browne(Jared Wetherick 22 min), John McKie.

The visitors, including several former Brockenhurst players, started well and Warren Kenna sent an early free kick just wide of Ed Hatt’s goal and continued to threaten the Cowes goal. A 22nd minute Lymington corner from the right was sent to the far post area where it was headed back towards the six yard box. Their center forward nipped in front of his marker to head the ball past Ed Hatt into the net for the opening goal of the game. As Cowes responded Joe Adams’ cross cum shot nearly sailed into their goal but just cleared the right post. Keelan Sainsbury tried his luck from 35 yards but the ball sailed over the crossbar. Shortly before the break another Warren Kenna free kick again just drifted wide of Cowes’ goal as Lymington led at half time.

H-T 01

2nd half XI – Aaron Bunday, James Wykes, Stuart McCarthy, Ryan Gregory c, Ross Gregory, Jason Ince, Dexter Malin, Joe Butcher, Dom Burbidge, Jared Wetherick, Jez Conway

Several new faces came on at half time looking to impress and they certainly did that. Jared Wetherick set up Dom Burbidge whose shot was smothered by the visitors keeper. The equaliser came eight minutes into the half when Dom Burbidge pounced on a poor keepers throw out to pressure the defender into a mistake, winning the ball before squaring it to JARED WETHERICK to curl it past the keepers left hand into the corner of the net. Just two minutes later and the Yachtsmen were in front when Joe Butcher showed his pace down the left before sending an inviting cross in between their defence and keeper for DOM BURBIDGE to net from close range. Further chances were missed by both sides as the game finished in a 2-1 victory for the Island side in what proved to be a very good workout for both sides.

Result:- Cowes Sports 2 1 Lymington Town


Saturday July 26th 2014 1pm KO


Referee:- Matt Sainsbury

1st half XI – Will Hunt, James Wykes, Kenny Cuthbert, Tom O’Brien, Stuart McCarthy, Jack Broomfield, Jordan Chapman, Rob Iley c, Callum Taylor, Ryan Flynn, George Turner.

Jimmy Wykes had an early penalty shout waved away by Referee Matt Sainsbury before Callum Taylor’s cross was headed up in the air by a defender before his keeper claimed it under pressure. Jimmy Wykes then outpaced his marker before chipping the keeper only to see the ball drift just wide of the goal. Several other half chances were created but missed before right on half time Rob Iley lost the ball but was relieved to see Will Hunt save their forwards shot in a goal less first half.

H-t 0 0

2nd half XI – Will Hunt, Rupert Bowles, Liam Webb, Salem Abouelela, Oliver West, Adam Sunsburg, Joe Collins, Tom Rogers, Ryan Flynn, Zack Fever-Norton, Jason Ince.

Despite a bright start to the half by Cowes, it was Otterbourne who took the lead when 1st team Manager RICHARD LUFFMAN fired home a free kick from the right edge of the penalty area. He immediately took himself off to prepare for the following game, and bask in the glory:). Zack Fever-Norton saw his effort rebound off the post before the equaliser came, a ball in from  the left found Zack Fever-Norton whose exquisite little touch into the path of 16 year old RYAN FLYNN who finished with aplomb to the delight of the Westwood faithful, a star in the making.  However it did not take the visitors long to regain the lead when another free kick into the Cowes area caused problems, after bouncing around the area the ball was cleared off the line but was returned into the box for a forward to head into the goal. A determined Cowes side got their reward for some hard work when Rupert Bowles saw his shot saved by the visiting keeper, but CALLUM TAYLOR was on hand to net a fully deserved second goal and earn his side a draw.

Result:- Cowes Sports Reserves 22 Otterbourne Reserves

Saturday July 26th 2014 3pm KO

COWES SPORTS v OTTERBOURNE (Hampshire Premier League)

Referee:- Abu Gates

1st half XI – Ed Hatt, Keelan Sainsbury, Joe Butcher, Ryan Gregory c, Charlie Allen, Ross Gregory, Dexter Malin, Jez Conway, John McKie, Joe Adams, Jordan Browne

Cowes welcomed Hampshire Premier League side, Otterbourne to Westwood Park and started the game with intent, John McKie crossing for Keelan Sainsbury to fire over before rolls were reversed as Keelan’s cross was headed onto the bar by John McKie. Ross Gregory then played in Dexter Malin who headed into the goal only to be denied by a ‘offside’ flag. Cowes took the lead in the 16th minute when Keelan Sainsbury’s cross-field ball to John McKie who clipped it into JORDAN BROWNE who netted. Joe Butcher once again showed he has pace too burn before crossing to Jordan Browne, but he side footed over the bar. Joe Adams was next to set up Jordan Browne who should have netted a second goal but somehow managed to scoop the ball over the bar. Otterbourne nearly leveled when their center forward chipped Ed Hatt, but the ball also cleared the crossbar before a shot from distance flew over the bar. Right on half time JOE ADAMS sent a sweet half volley over the keeper into the goal.

H-t 20

2nd half XI – Aaron Bunday, Max Draper, Lee Davies, Aidan Bryan, Ryan Gregory c, Joe Phelps, Keelan Sainsbury, Dom Burbidge, Jared Wetherick, Jordan Browne, Joe Butcher

Once again the players sent on at half time were out to impress. Within two minutes of the restart, Jared Wetherick released KEELAN SAINSBURY who beat the keeper with ease to add a third goal for the Yachtsmen.  In the 65th minute number four was scored when Keelan Sainsbury and Dom Burbidge played a 1-2 before Keelan sent JARED WETHERICK in on goal, their keeper came out but was rounded for a simple tap in. Otterbourne nearly pulled a goal back as their player tried to chip Aaron Bunday in the Cowes goal, Aaron just managing to catch the ball. Lee Davies’ 75th minute corner from the right was headed towards goal by Joe Phelps which their keeper punched away, but only to JARED WETHERICK who thumped it into the net for Cowes’ fifth goal. Ten minutes from time Jared Wetherick crossed for JORDAN BROWNE to head home before the final goal came when JARED WETHERICK completed his hat trick when he headed home another Lee Davies corner.

Result:- Cowes Sports 7 v 0 Otterbourne