Saturday August 16th 2014

CSFC Logo 300c            Team Solent F.C. logo.png


The Yachtsmen were drawn at home to fellow Division One side TEAM SOLENT in this FA CUP Extra Preliminary Round tie with the possibility of facing two former Sports players, Craig Thomas and Michael Jones.
Last weeks substitutes, Max Draper, Nathan Lewis and John McKie, were all named in the starting line up for this tie as Joe Phelps, Keelan Sainsbury and Lee Davies dropped to the bench to be joined by Craig Insley, Aidan Bryan, Oliver Wilson and Aaron Bunday.
Our visitors had suffered a surprising 2-8 home defeat to Amesbury in their opening League match, but had a few more players available too choose from for the game.
Once again Cowes started the match on the front foot, Max Draper hitting the Uni lads crossbar in the 6th minute following a lofted pass into his path by Gareth Bricknell. Max Draper again caused problems for the visitors two minutes later setting up John McKie whose effort was stopped by the visitors keeper, Matt Phillips, before Jordan Browne saw his effort blocked by the keepers right foot at the expense of a corner from which skipper Ryan Gregory headed inches wide of the goal. Team Solents Scott Rowe had their first shot at goal which Ed Hatt saved. Having just been booked for a cynical foul, Solent’s Ryan Mondiwa was lucky to escape further punishment in the 15th minute when he brought Nathan Lewis down inside the box, Referee Rudi Burton only awarding a spot kick. Ross Gregory stepped up but put his effort wide of the keepers left hand post. Team Solent again threatened when a short free kick saw Josh Brimacombe send a powerful shot just over the Cowes bar. Then just before the break Team Solent substitute, Jim Orvis weaved his way through the Cowes defence beat keeper Ed Hatt with a shot that was cleared off the goal-line by Gareth Bricknell as the first half remained scoreless.
Both sides struggled to find any fluidity in their football throughout the second half with very little action. Joe Adams watched his 30 yard goal bound shot fumbled by their keeper as the ball went for a corner to the home side. John McKie had a shot saved before the match winning moment arrived in the 82nd minute. A superb Joe Adams cross from the right found last seasons top scorer JORDAN BROWNE diving in to head the ball past Matt Phillips who got as hand to the ball but could not stop it ending up in his goal for what would eventually prove to be the winning goal. Team Solent fought back and should have had an equaliser five minutes from time when a ball to former Cowes player Michael Jones saw him try to pass the ball past Ed Hatt rather than smack it into the net, allowing Max Draper the chance to get a well timed block before a last minute corner fell to the edge of the Cowes box with Ed Hatt grabbing the ball at the 2nd attempt as Team Solent pushed Cowes till the end but could not find the goal they needed therefore sending Cowes into the next round and a chance to gain revenge against Yate Town whom they lost to last season at Lodge Road Stadium to a very late goal from former Bristol Rovers player Lewis Haldane. This season we will welcome them to the Island.
Team:- Ed Hatt, Max Draper, Gareth Bricknell bkd, Ryan Gregory capt, Jez Conway bkd(Craig Insley 21), Ross Gregory, Nathan Lewis(Lee Davies 80), John McKie bkd, Jared Wetherick(Keelan Sainsbury 62 bkd), Jordan Browne, Joe Adams, Subs not used; Joe Phelps, Aidan Bryan, Oliver Wilson, Aaron Bunday g/k.