Sydenhams Football League (Wessex) Sydenhams Football League

Division 1 – Saturday October 18th 2014

                      CSFC Logo 300c


Attendance:- 19

Despite being unbeaten in the League so far this season Cowes Sports had yet to hit any real form, but travelled to just outside Salisbury to visit Laverstock & Ford and were on a mission as it was the hosts who beat the Yachtsmen last season to effectively end the Islanders hopes of promotion. Jordan Browne, Enrique Villar and Nathan Lewis were restored to the starting XI as Jared Wetherick, Jez Conway dropped to the bench where they were joined by Sergio Castellano, whilst Aidan Bryan was missing through injury.

With last year in mind Cowes were looking for a fast start to the game, kicking up the slope, as early as the 5th minute Ryan Gregory won the ball in defence, sent the ball upfield towards John McKie wide on the Cowes right, home left back missed an attempted clearance and John McKie took full advantage to attack the home penalty area before whipping  a cross into the six yard box where keeper Lee Newman-Judd and JORDAN BROWNE challenged for the ball, which ended up in the Laverstock goal. Nathan Lewis then gave away a silly free kick to the left of the Cowes area from which Robert Gallagher tested Ed Hatt who saved comfortably. Right back Keelan Sainsbury pushed forward before sending a cross to the back post which found Enrique Villar stretching to make contact, but he could only send the ball overt the bar. Joe Adams then crossed from the left and Jordan Browne saw his shot saved by the keepers legs. Cowes doubled their advantage in the 22nd minute when JORDAN BROWNE tried to lob the keeper but got it wrong, not getting the ball high enough, but he fooled the keeper who made a complete hash of trying to save the shot and the ball rolled past him into the empty goal for Cowes’ and Jordans’ second goal of the game. Just two minutes later he should have completed his hat-trick when he was set up with a simple chance too net but missed kicked allowing a defender the chance to clear for a corner. Just before the half hour mark Nathan Lewis was fouled about ten yards in from the touchline level with the 18 yard box, JOE ADAMS stepped up to take the free kick and could not believe his luck as his shot on target went straight through Lee Newman-Judd’s hands into the goal for Cowes’ third goal of the afternoon, bringing back memories of the 8-0 hammering from two seasons ago. Their keeper then tipped a John McKie effort over the bar for a corner as the Islanders looked rampant. Number four came along in the 36th minute, having thwarted a home attack, Cowes broke quickly up the slope catching the home defence short and JOHN MCKIE saw his effort helped into the net by a defender under challenge from Jordan Browne. Enrique Villar then stung their keepers’ hands with a rasping shot before the ball was cleared.

H-t 04

Stunned by their first half show Laverstock came out for the second with intent of keeping the score down but must have feared the worse as two goals in two minutes increased the Cowes lead. John McKie supplied another excellent cross into the Laverstock area which found JORDAN BROWNE to net his third of the game in the 52nd minute and just a minute later came number six when a Joe Adams cross picked out John McKie whose neat chip over a defender found ENRIQUE VILLAR, he beat his marker before slotting the ball past their keeper into the net.

Satisfied that the job had been done, Manager Richie Woodburn made three substitutions in the 66th minute, skipper Craig Insley and goalscorers Joe Adams and Jordan Browne were replaced by Jez Conway, Sergio Castellano and Jared Wetherick respectively – Ryan Gregory taking the Captains armband from Craig. Shortly after John McKie again caused the home defence problems when he sent in another cross from wide which this time picked out Gareth Bricknell who headed at the keeper. Nathan Lewis then put a cross into the danger area, Jared Wetherick though watched his header cannon of the crossbar and away to safety. Cowes could not add to their tally and were lucky not to concede late on when Robert Gallagher pounced on a poor clearance from a corner, but his shot flew inches over the crossbar.

A job well done by the Yachtsmen which improves their goal difference and keeps them ticking over nicely for the three Cup games coming up over the next two weeks, Tuesday 21st at Fareham Town in the Russell Cotes, next Saturday 25th v Downton in the Wessex League Cup and then the FA Vase trip to Bemerton Heath Harlequins on November 1st.

Team:- Ed Hatt, Keelan Sainsbury, Nathan Lewis, Ryan Gregory, Craig Insley(Jez Conway 66),  Ross Gregory, Joe Adams(Sergio Castellano 66), Gareth Bricknell, John McKie, Jordan Browne(Jared Wetherick 66), Enrique Villar.

Referee:-   BRIAN WHITE            Assistants –  Connor Malone + Timothy Bunt

Other Results 18/10/14:-

Amesbury Town          5 – 0     Ringwood Town

East Cowes Vics        0 – 5     United Services Portsmouth

New Milton Town        3 – 1      Downton

Pewsey Vale                1 – 2      Fleet Spurs

Tadley Calleva             4 – 0     Andover New Street