The FA VASE    1st Round Proper  —  Saturday November 1st 2014

                         CSFC Logo 300c


Attendance —  76

The Yachtsmen made the trip to Western Way in Salisbury to take on Wessex Premier side BEMERTON HEATH HARLEQUINS who have had an up and down start to their season, great wins in recent weeks over Moneyfields in the previous round and the Wessex League Cup as well as beating Winchester City at home in the League.

Despite their indifferent form the home side included former Salisbury City defender and Islander Aaron Cook along with front duo Scott Joyce and Jack Slade who cause any defence problems. Cowes made just one change from last weeks squad, Jimmy Wykes coming into for the injured John McKie, meaning Joe Adams starting wide.

Bemerton got the start they would have dreamed of when, with only two minutes on the clock a free kick from the half way line was allowed to bounce in the Cowes area allowing SCOTT JOYCE to blast home from six yards. Cowes were stunned by the way they had conceded so early in the game meaning they had to chase the game. Ed Hatt made a great save in the 11th minute to keep his side in the game and slowly Cowes played their way back into contention. Gareth Bricknell played the ball to Jared Wetherick who cut inside his marker before firing the ball across the face of goal, no one was alert enough to gamble on diving in to get a touch that would have surely ended in their net. Just before half time Joe Adams broke down the Cowes left, set up Jordan Browne who saw his effort parried by Max Frampton in the Bemerton goal at the expense of  a corner. The home side were lucky to still be ahead at half time as Cowes Sports looked the better side in the latter stages of the half.

H-t 1 – 0

Cowes came out for the second half well up for the task in hand and twice within the first five minutes had chances to level the scores, good work ended with Joe Adams firing the ball wide of their left hand post before the same player had a better chance when he found himself free to the left of the six yard box with only keeper to beat, unfortunately he screwed his shot across the goal and out for a throw near the right corner flag. Cowes continued to press, Enrique Villar sending the ball over their crossbar on the hour whilst Jordan Browne’s snapshot flew just wide of the left post. Ross Gregory replaced Gareth Bricknell(groin injury) on 64 minutes before Joe Butcher came on for Jez Conway(hamstring). Ross Gregory was unlucky when his shot from 25 yards dipped inches over the bar. Jimmy Wykes came on for Joe Adams as the Yachtsmen went three at the back in search of the elusive goal and with five minute remaining paid the penalty when JACK SLADE broke down the Cowes right, cut inside to smash the ball past Ed Hatt into the goal and win the game for the home side. Right at the end Bemerton should have added a third when they broke down the Cowes left, but the final shot went wide of the goal. Despite their efforts Cowes were beaten and out of the FA Vase, but I am sure that Bemerton Manager Ian Chalk will think his side were lucky to advance. Their Chairman, Steve Slade, said after the game that “Cowes were by far the better side but thankfully we took our chances”. A great effort by all and hopefully the lessons will be learned.

Team:- Ed Hatt, Keelan Sainsbury, Jez Conway(Joe Butcher 75), Ryan Gregory, Craig Insley capt, Sergio Castellano bkd, Joe Adams(Jimmy Wykes 80), Gareth Bricknell(Ross Gregory 64), Jared Wetherick, Jordan Browne, Enrique Villar, Sub not used; Aidan Bryan

Referee:-   Colin Hubbard         Assistants – Neil Harrison + Craig Sandoe