Sydenhams Football League (Wessex) Sydenhams Football League

Division One – Saturday December 6th 2014

      CSFC Logo 300c


The longest trip of the season as Cowes Sports made their way to Pewsey Vale. Ryan Gregory(broken hand) was still missing as was the unavailable skipper Craig Insley. Gareth Bricknell returned from suspension replacing Lee Davies(knee injury) at left back whilst Max Draper returned to the 1stXI following his short spell at Newport IW, Keelan Sainsbury dropping to the bench.

Cowes took a while to get their legs moving following the long  journey but could have taken the lead in the 17th minute when a Nathan Lewis effort went two foot wide of the home goal. Jordan Browne then should have scored minutes later but totally missed the ball when just six yards out. Pewsey’s first effort at goal was a cross that lobbed over Ed Hatt and came back off his right hand upright, then seconds later Nathan Lewis split the home defence for Oliver Wilson to run onto, he rounded the keeper but could not get enough power onto his shot allowing a defender to recover and clear for a corner. Just before the break Nathan Lewis tested the home keeper with a low shot that was well saved.

H-t 0 – 0

Three minutes into the second half a quick break down the left by skipper Gareth Bricknell who then sent in a superb cross which Jordan Browne volleyed inches over the crossbar. In the 57th minute a ball over the top of the Cowes defence found its way to TOM RITCHIE who looked to be two or three yards offside, but the Assistant on that side was too far behind play to be able to see, the Pewsey forward took advantage and calmly tucked the ball past Ed Hatt into the Cowes net. Buoyed by taking the lead the home side pressed for a second goal and Ed Hatt produced a good save just past the hour mark, then what appeared to be a foul on keeper Ed Hatt was not given and Pewsey Vale hit the crossbar. Cowes pushed hard to get the goal back but finally paid the penalty in the final minute when another quick break ended with KIAS BANNER-SHEA fired the ball home from close range to send the Yachtsmen to their first defeat in the League in the calender year.

Although the defeat cannot be blamed on the Referee it has to be said he did not have one of his better games with some very strange decisions along with his Assistant who was on the Cowes defence, both goals having a hint of offside but he was unable to keep up with play.

Team:- Ed Hatt, Max Draper bkd, Nathan Lewis(Joe Butcher 80), Jez Conway, Joe Phelps bkd, Sergio Castellano, Joe Adams(Jared Wetherick 77), Gareth Bricknell capt, Oliver Wilson, Jordan Browne, Enrique Villar, Subs unused – Keelan Sainsbury + Jason Ince

Referee:- Kevin Bungay    Assistants – Alan Skeates + Liam Twigg

Footnote:- This game marked the final appearances for Cowes Sports of our two Spaniards, Sergio Castellano and Enrique Villar who are returning home following problems with their work. All at COWES SPORTS would like to thank both of them for the great times that have been had whilst they have been over here and we wish them both every success in the future and who knows maybe we will see them again some when.