Isle Of Wight Senior(GOLD) Cup 1/4 Final

Tuesday March 24th 2015

CSFC Logo 300c           Whitecroft & Barton Sports Football Club


Attendance — 196

A fascinating draw for the Yachtsmen as they were pitted against current Island Div 1 leaders and Champions elect, Whitecroft & Barton Sports. The visitors had only lost one League game so far, ironically at Westwood against Cowes Sports Reserves, and their team boasted several former Wessex League players, they had warmed up for this match with a comprehensive 6 – 1 thrashing of Northwood St Johns four days earlier so were confident of causing an upset. For their part hosts Cowes had beaten Fleet Spurs 4 – 0  on the same day. An interesting and exciting game in prospect for the large crowd that had come to watch.

A cagey start to the game from both teams as neither wanted to give the other an early advantage. Most of the early play was centered around the middle third of the pitch as both defences got the better of the strikers. Cowes did have a chance from a corner that was cleared off the line by a W+B defender but that was the closest either side came to opening the scoring until the 44th minute when JIMMY WYKES beat his marker wide on the left before cutting inside and shooting from the edge of the area, his effort took a deflection off the head of former Cowes player Sam Yelland leaving Gareth True helpless as the ball flew into the goal to give the Sydenhams One side the lead.

H-t 1 – 0

The second half gradually saw the home side get on top and start pressing for more goals and a second goal came on the hour when JARED WETHERICK volleyed home from the right edge of the W + B area into the left corner of the goal. Just two minutes later the impressive Jimmy Wykes cut in field only to be fouled, Referee John Hopkinson played a good advantage as Jared Wetherick picked up the ball and made his way towards the visitors goal only to be brought down in the area and a penalty was awarded. RYAN GREGORY stepped up and to send the keeper the wrong way and add a third goal for the home side and effectively book their place in the semi finals. in the 65th minute Cowes made sure of the win with a fourth goal when they broke down the left, the ball was played into Jared Wetherick who in turn found JOHN MCKIE who made no mistake from 10 yards or so. The final twenty minutes were played out although in the 92nd minute a cross into the Cowes area was headed goal-wards by Ashley Gulliver hitting a Cowes defender on the arm and a penalty was given, but Josh Appell sent his spot kick well over the crossbar into the netting behind the goal.

Cowes Sports will now meet either East Cowes Vics or East Cowes Sports in the Semi Final on a date to be arranged whilst Newport IW will take on Northwood St Johns for a place in the Final.

Team:- Ed Hatt, James Butt, Jez Conway(Alex Wright 79), Craig Insley capt, Ryan Gregory, Nathan Lewis, Joe Adams, Aleksander Przespolewski, John McKie(Freddie Knowles 79), Jared Wetherick, Jimmy Wykes(Jordan Chapman 82)

Subs not used; Oliver Wilson, Jason Ince

Referee:- John Hopkinson        Assistants –  Dave Brunt + Dave Gregory