Division One — Saturday April 11th 2015

       CSFC Logo 300c


Attendance —

The latest League match saw the Yachtsmen on their travels for the final time this season as they visited New Milton Town who had knocked them out of the Russell Cotes Cup back in November(1 – 2) at the same venue. Again the visiting side took along with them around 15 supporters who certainly made themselves heard.

Ryan Gregory and Nathan Lewis were brought back into the starting line up in place of Jimmy Wykes and Tom O’Brien as Cowes looked to keep the pressure up on second placed Tadley Calleva who had the day off.

New Milton were the first side to show their intent in the 4th minute when a good cross from the Cowes left found Morgan Turner with a free header from inside the six yard box, he thought he had put his side ahead, but Cowes keeper Ed Hatt produced a brilliant save to push the ball away for a corner. Three minutes later and the visitors were in front when a ball down the right found JARED WETHERICK on the edge of the home area with his back to goal, with one movement and a turn he volleyed the ball across Tom Jackson in the Linnets goal into the right corner of their goal too settle any nerves. The home side responded well and beat the offside trap on 12 minutes only for Paul Bayston to send his shot wide of the Cowes goal. For a second time Cowes made their hosts pay for their miss by doubling their advantage in the 18th minute when Jared Wetherick touched the ball back too JOHN MCKIE who sent a volley over Tom Jackson into the top left corner of the home goal, another excellent finish. Both sides continued too play some good football on a bobbly pitch and again the home side came close to halving the deficit just before half time when Matt O’ Dell saw his header cleared by Nathan Lewis at the second attempt, close to his own goal line at the expense of a corner. Cowes held out till the interval and were well worth their lead.

H-t 0 – 2

Jimmy Wykes replaced Aleksander Przespolewski at half time before Jez Conway came on for Joe Adams eight minutes into the half. A Ryan Gregory throw into Jared Wetherick saw the Cowes forward hold off his marker before firing a shot that Tom Jackson was relieved to see cannon off his right hand upright and away to safety. Antony Harris then fired well over the Cowes crossbar before a defensive clearance by James Butt beat the stretching Matt O’ Dell leaving JARED WETHERICK in on goal, he calmly rounded the keeper before clipping the ball into the empty net. Substitute Jimmy Wykes then had a shot palmed too safety by Tom Jackson. MORGAN TURNER then pulled a goal back for the home side when his 70th minute shot deflected off Craig Insley’s leg to send the ball past Ed Hatt into the top left corner of his goal. Despite this goal it was Cowes who created a few chances with a couple of one on one’s that both John McKie and Jared Wetherick sent well wide of goal mainly due to bobbles just as they shot. Jared also sent another volley over the bar as the Island side had to settle for a 3 – 1 victory that takes them to within two points of second place, both sides with two games left too play.

Team:- Ed Hatt, James Butt(Max Draper 85), Ryan Gregory, Craig Insley capt bkd, Aidan Bryan, Nathan Lewis, Joe Adams( Jez Conway 53), Aleksander Przespolewski(Jimmy Wykes 46), John McKie, Jared Wetherick, Oliver Wilson, Sub not used; Jason Ince.

Referee:- Colin Hubbard          Assistants — Colin Dedman + John Harvey

1 Team Solent 27 22 1 4 82 36 46 67
2 Tadley Calleva 26 19 3 4 81 29 52 60
3 Cowes Sports 26 18 4 4 71 30 41 58
4 Amesbury Town 27 17 0 10 81 39 42 51
5 New Milton Town 27 15 4 8 68 45 23 49
6 United Services Portsmouth 27 15 3 9 64 45 19 48
7 Hythe & Dibden 26 12 2 12 37 46 -9 38
8 Fleet Spurs 27 11 5 11 48 60 -12 38
9 Laverstock & Ford 27 11 3 13 37 53 -16 36
10 Pewsey Vale 28 9 4 15 44 48 -4 31
11 Ringwood Town 27 9 4 14 41 49 -8 31
12 Andover New Street 26 7 4 15 34 57 -23 25
13 Downton 27 5 9 13 30 46 -16 24
14 Romsey Town 26 4 4 18 37 75 -38 16
15 East Cowes Victoria 28 1 2 25 18 115 -97 5