Tuesday September 1st

Cove FC logo.png         CSFC Logo 300c

COVE FC                  2 – 2     COWES SPORTS (Cove won 4 – 2 on pens)


This Hampshire Senior Cup fixture was a bit of a nightmare for the Yachtsmen. A fatal accident on the M3 and consequent road closure delayed the the teams arrival at Cove eventually arriving at the ground at 7-40pm. The Match Referee was also caught up in the traffic, so KO was delayed until 8-20pm.

Cowes started well, Jordan Browne forcing the home keeper Jamie Cunningham into an early save. James Butt’s cross from the right found the head of Charlie Smeeton but he could only direct his header straight at the keeper. Cowes were then stunned in the 11th minute when DREW MATTHEWS cross from the left flew over Ed Hatt and into the net off the far post to give Cove the lead. Charlie Smeeton then flicked a Jez Conway cross wide of goal before a James Butt corner from the left was cleared off the line by a defender before Dexter Malin fired over the bar. A 25th minute cross from the left by Jez Conway picked out CHARLIE SMEETON in the box, he was tripped by Mike Flounders who was shown a yellow card. Charlie picked himself up to net from the spot kick a draw Cowes level. Ten minutes later the home side thought they had resored their lead but the Assistant had raised his flag for offside, which upset their Manager who was ordered away from the dugout. Cowes then had a goal ruled out for offside and shortly before the break Ed Hatt saved well to deny the home striker.

At the start of the second half Cowes were again grateful to Ed Hatt for denying the home side. Cowes should have taken the lead on the hour bur three forwards stood expecting each other to shoot allowing their keeper to clear before he twice denied Keelan Sainsbury. Following a Cowes attack Cove broke forward in the 68th minute and scored their second goal which was a little lucky. The Islanders bounced back straight away as DEXTER MALIN scored his first goal for the club with a volley at the back post from a James Butt corner from the left. Cowes pushed hard for a winning goal but Jamie Cunningham was in fine form, also having a bit of luck along the way. The game went straight to penalties and unfortunately Nathan Lewis and Charlie Smeeton saw their kicks easily saved as Cove netted with great confidence their four spot kicks. Jordan Browne and Jez Conway scored for Cowes. So Cove advance to the second round and a tie at Eastleigh.

Despite the long trip, that was made worse by the hold up, this was not a performance that will want to be remembered by the players representing Cowes. However their showing was far better than the Officials who had a shocker for both teams.

TEAM:- Ed Hatt, James Butt bkd, Jez Conway, Ben Gregory bkd, Nathan Lewis capt, Oliver Wilson, Tom Scovell, Keelan Sainsbury bkd(Jimmy Wykes 75), Jordan Browne, Dexter Malin bkd, Charlie Smeeton, Sub not used – Max Draper.

REFEREE:-  COLIN HOPKINS             Assistants – H. Fitzsimmons + L. Pullen