Premier Division – Saturday September 12th 2015

          CSFC Logo 300c


Attendance – 67

Cowes Sports traveled to Portsmouth for a game brought forward from April 16, as both teams were out of the F A Cup, against Moneyfields. In previous meetings Cowes had only ever won once, in 03/04, at Moneyfields. Up against the Island side were a few familiar faces, former Cowes keeper Gary Streeter, former Newport striker Tom McInnes and Aaron Cook who also joined the ‘The Moneys’. Cowes were missing Simon Williams, Oliver Wilson, Keelan Sainsbury, James Butt and Dexter Malin from the team that had beaten Follands Sports in mid-week. However Charlie Smeeton was welcomed back whilst Max Draper, Tom Scovell and Jez Conway were restored to the starting line up, Jason Ince, Jimmy Wykes and Jason Malcolmson were on the bench.

The Islanders got off to a great start when in the 4th minute a Max Draper throw to Charlie Smeeton saw the latter turn inside his marker and shot at goal, his effort deflected off of JOHN MCKIE into the net past keeper Gary Streeter to send the bench and the visiting supporters into raptures. John McKie then had two good chances, in quick succession, to increase the Yachtsmen’s lead but under hit his first effort to chip their keeper before getting too much on his second effort that flew over the bar. Moneyfields then showed that they were still in the game when a free kick into the Cowes box beat everyone before flying wide of Ed Hatt’s left hand post. Twenty nine minutes into the game and Cowes stunned the home crowd when Aidan Sainsbury’ shot from outside the area took a wicked deflection off JORDAN BROWNE to again leave Gary Streeter stranded and double their lead. However, just two minutes later the home side were back in the game when Conor Bailey’s free kick caused panic and TOBY MCAULEY touched the ball into the Cowes goal. Shortly before half time and the scores were level when CONOR BAILEY fired a 30 yard shot into the top left corner of Ed Hatt’s goal. Moneyfields certainly were in the mood now and Ed Hatt had to be at his best to block another effort on goal to keep the scores level at the break.

H-t 2 – 2

Could we have another goal fest in the second half?? Well we definitely had a good chance of it as in the 53rd minute JOHN MCKIE netted his second goal of the game with a low shot into the bottom left corner of the Moneyfields goal to regain the lead. Shortly after Aidan Sainsbury’s cross into their box saw defender Ryan Inskip head just wide of his own goal. In the 78th minute a corner from the Cowes left had Gary Streeter at full stretch to push away but only to Nathan Lewis whose header flew over the bar. The home sides’ best chance of the half came in the final minute of the game when a free kick from 22 yards had Ed Hatt at full stretch to push the ball away for a corner and secure a valuable three points.

Team:- Ed Hatt, Max Draper, Jez Conway, Aidan Bryan, Ben Gregory, Nathan Lewis capt, Tom Scovell, Aidan Sainsbury(Jason Ince 88), Jordan Browne bkd(James Wykes 90), Charlie Smeeton, John McKie bkd(Jason Malcolmson 75).

REFEREE:- MICHAEL BALLARD        Assistants – Kevin Robinson + Dave Morley