The FA Vase - Image F A VASE

2nd Qualifying Rd – Saturday October 3rd 2015

                          CSFC Logo 300c


Attendance – 40

The Yachtsmen made the trip to Salisbury to the home of Laverstock & Ford for this 2nd Qualifying Rd tie. Cowes were used to playing at this venue having done so for the past five seasons in Div 1, but went into this match fully expecting to be in the hat for the next round. Having said that the home side had won each of their games at The Dell so far this season so Manager Richie Woodburn was expecting a tough game.

A very scrappy start by both sides as neither made any headway towards their opponents goal for the first half hour. First effort on goal came on 33 minutes when Ollie Wilson’s cross cum shot flew just over their crossbar. Charlie Smeeton fed Dexter Malin down the right but his cross was headed out for a corner by a defender before Tom Scovell saw his dipping shot from the edge of the area go inches over the bar. The home side never really threatened Ed Hatt’s goal throughout the first half other than a header wide of target from a free kick by Tom Mundy.

H-t 0 – 0

Laverstock, kicking down the slope in the second half, looked a lot more confident that they could get a result against their sluggish Premier opponents. Adam Jones watched as Ed Hatt tipped the ball over the bar for a corner from his header. Jason Malcolmson then broke down the Cowes left, crossed to Charlie Smeeton whose shot smacked off the right hand upright. Within a minute ADAM JONES collected the ball some 35 – 40 yards from goal, turned his marker twice before sending the ball over Ed Hatt into the Cowes goal which stunned Cowes and sent the home side jumping for joy.  The Premier side tried too respond, in the 70th minute several chances in the home goalmouth the final one being a shot from Jordan Browne that was blocked away for a corner. Adam Jones should have headed a second goal for Laverstock but the ball over the bar before Robert Gallagher fired over from 20 yards. Five minutes from time saw the game settled when a free kick from the left of Cowes’ area was only pushed away by Ed Hatt, all defenders failed to react and allowed RUSSELL JONES to collect the rebound come back inside before firing past Ed Hatt for a second goal. Jordan Browne then had another shot blocked before, to complete a miserable day Charlie Smeeton earned a second yellow card for dissent and was sent off.

Team:- Ed Hatt, James Butt, Jason Malcolmson, Edward Sanders, Aidan Bryan(Ben Gregory 49), Tom Scovell, Nathan Lewis capt, Oliver Wilson, Charlie Smeeton S/O, D. Malin(Jordan Browne 58), John McKie

Referee:- George Kyi       Assistants –