Premier Division – Tuesday November 24th 2015

CSFC badge 2015 colour               


Attendance – 75

Following a ten day break Cowes Sports returned to action, hosting high flying Horndean at Westwood Park for this mid-week League fixture. This game was Edward Sanders’ final appearance for the Yachtsmen before joining Blackfield & Langley.

Prior to the start of the game DAVID DRAPER from THE HOLIDAY SHOP & A L S TRAVEL presented October’s “Player of the Month” award to JOHN MCKIE

The Yachtsmen looked a bit sluggish during the first half following their break whilst Horndean looked just the opposite having played and won three days earlier. Josh Maloney’s early cross was pushed away by Ed Hatt in the home goal, but only to Nathan Kirby who, thankfully for the Island side, fired over the crossbar from 5 yards. In the 21st minute a corner from the Cowes left was headed against the right hand post by Horndean’s center half Matt Burt, NATHAN KIRBY was first to react to prod the ball into the Cowes net from close range. Cowes responded and should have leveled in the 24th minute when Charlie Smeeton crossed from the Cowes left, a defender flicked the ball towards the far post where John McKie headed over the bar. Two minutes later Cowes were made to pay for that miss when Horndean doubled their lead. RYAN THOMAS was given time and space in midfield as he fired home from 35 yards over Ed Hatt, a sweet strike indeed. Worse was to follow for the Island side as a third Horndean was scored on 36 minutes when NATHAN KIRBY scored with ease after a quick break. Game over by half time??

H-t 0 – 3

A half time ear bashing for the Yachtsmen saw them come out for the second half determined to find a way back into the game. On the hour, Cowes started the comeback when AIDAN SAINSBURY fired home a free kick from the right corner of the Horndean area. A couple of minutes later and John McKie’s cross just evaded Charlie Smeeton at full stretch before the roles were reversed with John McKie just unable to get enough of a touch onto a Charlie Smeeton cross. In the 67th minute Horndean added a fourth goal when MATTHEW BURT headed home from eight yards. Undeterred Cowes responded and in the 72nd minute, just two minutes after coming on as a substitute for Max Draper, Dexter Malin ran at the visitors defence before Matt Burt tripped him inside the area ans CHARLIE SMEETON stepped up to fire home the spot kick. Six minutes from time and Horndean regained their three goal advantage when SAM SMART fired home from the edge of the Cowes area. Another break from the visitors was halted by Ed Sanders who was shown his second yellow of the evening closely followed by a red card. Cowes though were not finished when in injury time Dexter Malin’s shot was headed home from six yards by JORDAN BROWNE. A brave second half display by the Yachtsmen, but not quite enough having left themselves a little too much to do. the win for Horndean took them up to second in the table level on points with Salisbury.

Team:- Ed Hatt, Max Draper(Dexter Malin 70), Jason Malcolmson, Nathan Lewis capt, Ed Sanders S/O(2 bookings), Tom Scovell(Jez Conway 81 bkd), Oliver Wilson bkd, Aidan Sainsbury bkd(Keelan Sainsbury 73), Jordan Browne, Charlie Smeeton, John McKie bkd, Subs not used – James Butt + Jaymie Icke

Referee:- Jacob Wright        Assistants – Andy Jones + Alex Staniforth