Hampshire Junior B Cup

 TRON FC       3-3       COWES SPORTS ‘A’

                        (4-3 pens)

 The Junior Yachtsmen had probably the hardest draw in the Cup against previous Junior ‘A’ Hants Cup winners Tron FC. The away day did not get off to the greatest of starts with striker Joe Craig pulling out in the morning through injury. There were then several green faces on the rocky boat trip over to Southampton before setting off to Basingstoke. Upon arrival at their venue it was more like a small paddy field with 2 goals stuck in at either end, but at the end of the day it is the same for both sides. The Referee did not turn up until 10mins before kick-off, and, after talking to him when handing the team sheet in, you just knew we were going to be up against it. Tron started the game very strongly with their movement and pace causing  problems, but on 15mins it was Cowes that took the lead. After soaking up a lot of pressure, Cowes broke with pace, and RYAN FLYNN latched onto a through ball to score. Tackles then started to fly in, and on several occasions they were late, but the Referee seemed afraid to do anything about it. While they were still arguing with each other about conceding Cowes scored again on 20mins! This time Jake Cass won the ball in midfield and found JORDAN CHAPMAN, he turned his marker, laid the ball off to Ryan, and then from the cross, scored to put us 2-0 up! The game now got very heated and I am afraid the Referee just lost control, every time they appealed a decision he gave it. On 30mins Tron pulled a goal back with a cracking shot from their winger. They moved the ball around at pace, and a diagonal cross field ball was met with a volley from their winger, which flew into the top corner of our net giving Jaymie Icke no chance. We did create a few more opportunities ourselves before the break, but it was Tron who leveled the tie up when they were awarded a penalty and scored, just 2mins before the half time whistle went. During the interval the Referee came over and apologised to us about the foul and abusive language that was constant, and our reply was, “then do something about it!!!”

Just 8mins into the second half the young Islanders were dealt a massive blow when Ryan Flynn had to come off after feeling a tweak in his hamstring. This allowed Tron to push higher up the pitch as they were very unsettled by his pace. With 65mins gone, Tron took the lead. They worked the ball down the wing and their overlapping full back had time to pick out their striker to score. We then showed a lot of character as many teams would have cracked. The lads gave everything and despite being under a lot of pressure they kept battling away. With just 10mins to go we were back in the game. Jake Cass broke up another Tron attack and found Nicky Vyse out on the wing, and his first time cross was powered into the back of the net by JORDAN WHITTLE. There were not any clear cut chances in the final few minutes as both sides knew one mistake could be decisive, and so the game went straight to penalties. Tron went 1 up but JAKE CASS equalised, Tron went 2-1 up before JORDAN STACEY equalised, Tron missed and then unfortunately JAYMIE ICKE hit the post, Tron scored 3-2 but JORDAN WHITTLE again equalised, Tron scored to make it 4-3 and won the game as ALEX BIORAND put his spot kick over the bar. Absolutely gutted for the youngsters as no way should Tron have finished the game with 11 players, which could have been the difference, if we had of had an official who did not allow himself to be intimidated. Good luck to Tron as they have a number of quality players in their side and hopefully this experience will make us stronger in the future.

Team: Jaymie Icke, Rupert Bowles(Fin Ray – 50mins), Alex Bouiland, Jordon Stacey, Dan Flux, Nicky Vyse, Jordon Chapman, Jake Cass, Jordon Whittle, Sam Phelps, Ryan Flynn(Ryan Brenchley – 53mins)

Report contributed by IAN CASS