Sydenhams Football League(Wessex)

Premier Division – Monday April 11th 2016

           CSFC badge 2015 colour


Attendance:- 55

THIS was the game Team Solent really didn’t want to play in at this time! It was a fixture that came along just two days prior to the Southampton Senior Cup Final and the line-up was far from the one that has taken them up to fifth place in the league; it included seven players from the Wyvern and BUCS squads.
There was a promising start from Solent but it wasn’t long before John McKie, a left-sided player that Solent know well from previous matches, had two opportunities for Cowes, once shooting off the near post and secondly, in trying to chip the ball over
Gibbs, he misjudged his effort and it drifted beyond the far post. Solent were competing well with a Noonan cross from the left finding Pitts whose header at the back post was tipped away by Cowes keeper Ed Hatt. Cowes looked threatening and they
eventually broke the deadlock when initially Shann got in a good interception from a Oliver Wilson shot and that was followed by JORDAN BROWNE receiving a Ed Sanders knock down to drive it firm, low and into the net. Chances were being created by the visitors and both Jared Wetherick and Dexter Malin missing good opportunities. At the other end, Noonan received a Kendall pass but his 25-yard effort was just wide and Kendall created a further chance by finding Willis-Dellimore whose shot was saved by Ed Hatt. With the game in time added at the end of the first half, a neat passing move resulted in a fine ball that enabled JOHN MCKIE to get behind a home defender on the left and shoot low into the far corner.

HT: 0-2.
Jimmy Wykes made a good run for Cowes, evading a challenge but he opted to shoot rather than find a team mate and it went wide. Both teams put in a lot of effort from there and some good football was played; it was a battle for Solent but whenever they got into more advanced positions the final pass proved to be disappointing. Cowes were a threat and they effectively sealed the points with a third goal when a decent delivery by Jason Malcolmson on the left picked out JORDAN BROWNE whose smart turning shot found the far corner, his second of the night. A good Cowes move involving John McKie, Tom Scovell and Jez Conway seemed to open up the Solent defence but sub Wateridge got in a block to concede a corner. From that kick, the ball rather scrappily found EDWARD SANDERS but there was nothing scrappy about his finish, a smart scooped effort, the ball having been a fraction behind him. There was still time for another Solent sub, Dacres- Smith to smack the top of the crossbar from fully 25- yards but the final whistle was now overdue.
It would be all too easy for ‘Solenteers’ to find excuses saying ‘it was our reserves’ and the like butto do that would show their opponents a lack of respect. Cowes had no control over the side Solent opted to put out in this match and, as you would expect any other club to do, they took full advantage of the situation to deservedly win and complete ‘a 4-0 double’ over Team Solent – it’s in the record books! There are positives to take from every football match and the Solent management team would have
learned much about the squad tonight. The best way to put a heavy defeat out of the proverbial system is to play again and St Mary’s bound Solent don’t have to wait for very long to do precisely that!
Team:- Edward Hatt,  James Wykes,  Jason Malcolmson,  Edward Sanders,  Aidan Bryan capt(Steven Russell 83), Aidan Sainsbury, Jordan Browne, Oliver Wilson, Jared Wetherick(Thomas Scovell 74), Dexter Malin(Jez Conway 84), John McKie,
Sub not used – James Butt

Referee:-  Gareth Roberts          Assistants – Stephen McKee + Mark Cotterill

Report from GARY DAY(Team Solent)