Sydenhams Football League(Wessex)

Premier Division – Saturday April 9th 2016

               CSFC badge 2015 colour



Cowes Sports travels took them West to Potterne Park, home of Verwood Town who sat comfortably in mid table before this fixture, but their previous home game had seen them topple high flying Horndean 3 – 2 , so confidence should have been high. Cowes previous league game had seen them trampled over by Champions elect Salisbury 0 – 6, although they had beaten ECS in the Gold Cup Semi Final 6 – 1 mid-week. Aidan Bryan returned to the bench following illness, but missing were Craig Insley, John McKie and Keelan Sainsbury.

Early pressure from Verwood Town saw them break down the Cowes left, the cross into the middle eventually fell to Charlie Gajic but keeper Ed Hatt got down to his right to push the shot away for a corner. Joe Wood then saw his effort fly across the face of the Cowes goal but wide of the post. Finally, after 17 minutes the Yachtsmen created their first opportunity when James Butt fed Jordan Browne whose shot was blocked by Chris Lynch in the home goal. On the half hour mark Aidan Sainsbury’s low free kick was touched wide of the goal by Jimmy Wykes. A minute later saw Ed Hatt produce a double save from two Jack Swann shots to keep Cowes on level terms. These proved important as in the 35th minute the Island side took the lead when a cross from the Cowes left from Dexter Malin found the head of Jimmy Wykes whose effort cannoned off the crossbar but fell nicely for skipper of the day JARED WETHERICK who volleyed home fro seven yards.

H-t 0 – 1

Twelve minutes into the second half and Cowes doubled their lead when DEXTER MALIN fired across their keeper into the left side of their goal which was at that stage fully deserved. Cowes continued to dominate play but  found Liam Donachy in fine form for Verwood. When the visitors did find a way through to the goal chances were missed, Jimmy Wykes latching onto a long Ed Hatt clearance but volleyed over the bar before Jared Wetherick saw his shot blocked on the line. The Yachtsmen began to drop deeper into their own half in the final 15 minutes or so and were made to pay for their missed chances when AARON ATKINSON outpaced Nathan Lewis before beating Ed Hatt at his near post to give the home side some hope. Then following some pressure on the Cowes defence Nathan Lewis’ tackle from behind in the penalty area was adjudged a penalty and RUSSELL DYER stepped up to fire home the equaliser in stoppage time.

Having been so in control of the game the Yachtsmen were very angry to have dropped two points from this match.

Team:- Ed Hatt, James Butt, Jason Malcolmson, Nathan Lewis, Edward Sanders, Oliver Wilson, Jordan Browne, Aidan Sainsbury, Jared Wetherick capt, Dexter Malin, James Wykes, Subs not used – Aidan Bryan, Steven Russell, Jez Conway, Billy Heard.

Referee:- Chris Mannering       Assistants – Paul Hicks + Michele Iodice